Sunday, March 27, 2011

When you’re sick, eat Mashed Potatoes


Hi all. I wish I could be greeting you in the best of health, but for the past few days I have been fighting with a very strange cold virus that has been bumping about the office. The fever was the worst part, and it’s taking more than my prescribed meds to keep it in check and presently I’m also the not-so-happy owner of a lingering cough that has me sounding like a refugee from the old Caura hospital in T&T.

My precious appetite has also decreased. My diet for the past few days has been Lucozade, tea, cheese, toast, Dixie biscuits and the odd egg. I forced myself to eat some sada roti with a scrambled egg for lunch yesterday, but today, I’m at home with some leftover fried shark, and I’m desperately seeking some accompaniment for it. It was just then I happened across a can of lentils on my kitchen shelf and my fridge yielded up a few (still firm) potatoes, which brought back memories of Granny mashing some hot potatoes to feed me whenever I felt ill. (I know, usually sick people want soup, but not the members of my family!)
Therefore, today calls for some of my Granny’s Snuzzy mashed potatoes to make me feel good. So, let’s get started.


First, get yourself a handful of potatoes.

Peel them well. I like to cut mine into sixes, just so they cook a bit faster. Don’t forget to take off any black bits you find.

Put them in a pot of cold water and add a good pinch of salt to them, or my favourite thing, a couple of Maggi cubes. It gives the water an extra punch of flavour and potatoes are great at sucking up whatever seasoned liquid they happen to be cooking in.

Let them boil for about 20 minutes, or until fork tender – that means it doesn’t give any resistance when pricked with a fork or the tip of a knife.

Drain them well.

Get your potato masher and start to mash them while they’re still steaming.

Add about 2 to 3 tablespoons of Blue band butter.

Let the heat of the potatoes melt the butter as you continue to mash them.

Next is Granny’s secret ingredient, condensed milk. I know, it seems weird to bring something sweet to a potato but paired with the saltiness of the butter, it works a strange kind of magic. A couple tablespoons should do the trick.

Continue to mash... Now taste… and voila! Just like Granny used to make it.

Now for some lunch… this is just a saucer-ful. Told you, my appetite isn’t what it’s normally been lately, but I am happy because it’s comforting. Oh, you want the recipe? Here you go…

Granny’s Mashed Potatoes

About 5 or 6 medium potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into six or eight pieces each
6 to 7 cups water (for boiling)
2 Maggi Vegetable cubes or 1 large pinch of salt
2 to 3 tablespoons Blue Band butter
1 or 2 tablespoons condensed milk

  1. Boil the potatoes in the water flavoured with the 2 Maggi Vegetable cubes (or salt) over a medium high flame for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
  2. Drain the potatoes. Mash while hot, using a potato masher.
  3. Next, add in 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter and continue to mash.
  4. Add in the condensed milk (start with one tablespoon first) and mix it well until the potatoes become nice and creamy, yet look firm.Taste.( If you like, another spoonful of condensed milk can go in.)
  5. Serve warm and enjoy.
 
One of the main things I love about these potatoes is that you can do even more with them, including adding some roasted garlic to them, or sprinkling in a few chives… don’t worry, we will try more potato magic as my blog continues. For now, I will be remembering Granny as I eat and relax. With any luck, they just might bring my appetite back, hahahaa!

So you all take care, have a great day, and like I always say, doh forget to mind de pot. Much love and many hugs. :-)

5 comments:

  1. For those of you who may be a bit skeptical about the condensed milk, have no fear. Just warm up about 1/3 cupful of regular (or skimmed milk) and add it to the hot, just mashed potatoes at the same time with the butter. It'll be just as delicious, I promise! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy Halcy, hope you feel better. I feel good just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa, and I'm so happy you do, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Halcian, we met today at Cynthia's book signing. I was the picture-taker-outer lol. Your blog is lovely. The step by step photos are fantastic and I look forward to following along and chatting more with you about food yummy food:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wizzy! *grins* Thanks so much for visiting my humble blog and becoming a follower too, lol! You can look forward to lots more as time goes by, cuz I really love cooking, hahahaa! Much love and many hugs! :-D

    ReplyDelete