Monday, March 7, 2011

A Quick Strawberry Vaps!


As a rule, I try not to type when I’m eating sweet things. But, I’m taking a huge risk tonight as I indulge in the results of one of my many vaps while my tongue continues to curl and caress a remaining bite of ripe, chocolate covered strawberry in my mouth.

No, I didn’t order them from somewhere fancy. I made them myself. No recipe. No instructions. Just a vaps, spurred by the memories of seeing – not eating – chocolate covered strawberries on television and being advertised online.

The strawberries sitting in my fridge were not meant to be eaten right away, either; I was saving them to make strawberry muffins. But, in rearranging the contents of the fridge after sharing some leftovers for dinner, I found a little bit of bittersweet chocolate chips from the last set of chocolate muffins I had made – months ago, I might add – and started wondering what I could do with them until I purchased more cocoa to make said muffins again.

They were less than a handful, about a 1/3 of a cup at most, and still tasty. My tub of strawberries beckoned… ‘Just take a few and try a thing, Halcie…’

So, I washed a handful and drained them…

Next, I put the chocolate chips in a microwaveable bowl and put them to heat for a full minute. I started stirring them while the bowl was still warm…

Then I put them back in and heated them at 15 second intervals until they were nicely melted.


The next step was to pat the strawberries dry…


And dip them in one by one.


Of course, not all of them came out as cute as this one, but I tried!


Arranged them on some wax paper on a plate…

Which went into the refrigerator to chill for a bit.

Out they came!

So Delicious! (Yup, I took a bite out of the bigger one instead!)

That was truly one of the more tasty vaps I’ve had, or experienced. Wanna try them yourself? Here's my vaps recipe.

Chocolate Covered Strawberries

8 to 10 strawberries
1/3 to ½ cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips

Wash your strawberries and drain off the excess water.
Put the chocolate chips into a microwaveable bowl and heat for 60 seconds.
Remove from the microwave and start stirring them while the bowl is still warm.
Put them back in the microwave and heat at 15 second intervals, stirring after each until the chocolate is melted.
Blot any excess water off the strawberries and dip them halfway into the melted chocolate. (You can use a spoon to slather the chocolate over them if necessary.)
Cover a plate with wax paper and then place each dipped strawberry on it.
Put them in the fridge for about ½ an hour, or until the chocolate has firmed up.
Enjoy at your leisure!

I’ll admit this was definitely worth the effort. The taste was just as I imagined too, darkly sweet at first from the chocolate, then the strawberry taste mingles with the dark and spikes it with tart sweetness… yum! No wonder people crave this combination so much! 

Well, I definitely plan on doing more chocolate experiments with pears, bananas and other fruit, but for now, I will just relax and indulge…
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, I still have enough left over to make my strawberry muffins!

Take care, my friends, and like I always say, doh forget to mind de pot! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment